The human mind attempts to find solutions through awareness and analysis. This forms the foundation stone of scientific thinking. If this concept is applied for the purpose of , it transforms into a “resourceful creation” – that is .
The concept of engineering has existed since the beginning of time. Seemingly routine inventions form the basis of modern engineering. The wheel can be regarded as the very first instance of an engineering marvel. It rectified the issue of locomotion.
Innovation or effective utility is the key to engineering. The execution of any procedure or activity has to be practical and effective. Innovation goes beyond creative thinking. It involves unique concepts, improvement in existing principles, and application of ideas.
There are different branches of engineering depending on the concept to be executed.
· Mechanical Engineering–“Mechanical” means “machine-like”. This branch of engineering involves the application of scientific concepts to study, construct, and improvise machine structures.
Mechanical engineers can even function in the field of biological sciences. For example –
· Bio-mechanics is the study of the movement of body parts. This is the working principle involved in studying flawed bowling actions in cricket and applying appropriate remedial measures.
· Biosensors are used for computing biological, environmental, and food parameters. For example -Recording machinery for measuring the levels of oxygen, food contaminants, blood glucose, etc.
Career options–Automation industry, Nuclear reactor construction, Scientific research, Mining equipment manufacturing, Robotics, construction of electronics hardware
· Civil Engineering–“Civil” implies matters of interest to the common public. Therefore, civil engineering involves the application of technical concepts to improve public works, such as freeways, rail networks, bridges, architecture, airports, drainage, etc.
Civil engineering can be studied under the following sub-disciplines depending on the area of public work.
· – Architectural structures withstanding damage in the event of natural disasters and climatic changes
· –Ensuring effective pollution control processes and wastewater management
· –Underground construction such as metros
· – Construction of dams to provide water supply and ensuring avoidance of flooding
· – Designing townships and other aspects of public utility
Career options–Structural design, Operations surveying, geological construction (tunnels, oil wells), urban planning
· Electrical Engineering–This is the discipline associated with electric current as well as its associated entities. This branch has wide-reaching applications in fields such ascomputers, signalling, power generation, etc.
With the help of a proper amount of training, students can acquire practical skills for newer solutions to telecommunications issues, electrical circuit experimentation, hardware wiring, etc.
Career options–Electronics, nanotechnology circuits, maintenance of power cables, telecom industry, electricity generation
· Dual Degree Courses –
This is a combination of B. Tech (undergraduate) and M. Tech (post-graduate). It enables students to complete M. Tech in a shorter space of time as compared to a separate M. Tech degree on its own. Students can also gain valuable research experience in the process. The dual degree curriculum lasts for a period of five years (ten semesters).
Alternately, a student can pursue studies in an additional discipline after completion of 50% of the dual degree course. In other words, in the third year, a student can switch over to another discipline of engineering. Therefore, the B. Tech degree will be awarded in the original subject, and the M. Tech degree will be awarded in the new subject.
A post-graduate course such as M. Tech in Computer Science can also be regarded as a dual degree course. Graduates from any branch of engineering are eligible to pursue this specialization. Some institutes may also organize evaluation tests of their own.
Advantages of pursuing a dual degree specialization in engineering –
· Acquiring greater skills with the added knowledge from two distinct engineering disciplines
· Post-graduate qualification acquired in shorter duration
Career options Scope of dual degree depends on the disciplines studied at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels.
1. Tech. in Electronics and Communications Engineering (ECE)–This is a transition point between electronics and computer science. One of the key aspects of this discipline is the study of signalling.
This ensures smooth operations of railway networking and traffic without delays. Signalling can be studied in terms of the blueprint, coordination of networks,as well as signal management. Stoppage signals, train recognition, opening and closing of crossings, etc. form an integral part of railway signalling.
These are transmission signals involved in fixed telephone line communications, internet connectivity, and smartphone networks. Technical skills acquired by a telecommunications engineer include evaluation of cable functioning, rectifying network failure, installing equipment for signal transference (satellite dish), assessing signalling apparatus, etc.
Career options –Computer hardware, telecom networking, mobile phone industry, defence industry, artificial intelligence
· Other branches –
· Chemical Engineering –
This specialization utilizes concepts of chemistry and chemical sciences for innovation and problem-solving. The concepts of chemical reactions and risk analysis are taken into account for developing new machinery. Industrial chemistry forms the functional base of present-day chemical engineering.
Career options –Industrial chemistry, textile production,fertilizer manufacture, pharmaceuticals, environmental industry, waste recycling
· Biomedical Engineering–
The application of innovation and designing in the medical field forms the foundation of biomedical engineering. This discipline forms a link between the fields of engineering and healthcare. Various aspects of biomedical engineering include diagnostic analysis, imaging techniques, medical research, genetics, drug designing, bioinformatics, etc.
Career options –Instrumentation for diagnostics, organ printing, genetic engineering, forensics, healthcare industry
Gautam Buddha University (GBU), Noida
Gautam Buddha University (GBU) is located in the urban township of Noida, Uttar Pradesh. It promotes cerebral growth and inclusive principled values aimed towards the overall development of society. To nurture and shape yourself as a B.Tech Engineer, never miss an opportunity with an university like GBU, enroll yourself today.
GBU stands out as one of the foremost universities in India for the following reasons –
1. Studies on Buddhism as well as ancient civilizations are offered alongside technical courses such as engineering and management. This ensures ancient beliefs and traditions are revered alongside requirements of the modern world. It also results in increased awareness of history and culture.
Additionally, GBU houses a centre for meditation within campus premises. This serves the purpose of bringing about intellectual growth and emotive maturation. Ancient practices such as meditation aid in relaxation of the body and the mind in stressful environments.
A cultural festival is held annually allowing students to showcase their intellective and inventive artistic talents. GBU believes in venerating heritage and preserving it for future generations. A creative thought process coupled with proactive participation aims to diffuse barriers, leading to increased tolerance for diverse customs.
2. GBU enjoys the benefit of a strategic location at Noida.
· Population and realty growth have been regulated. Therefore, urbanization has co-existed alongside the environment. Noida enjoys the distinction of the largest cover of greenery throughout India.
Noida has transformed into a booming business centre. Some of the most renowned electronic companies are headquartered at Noida. Additionally, Noida is known as a media centre. Some of the biggest malls, multiplexes, residential buildings, and entertainment networks in India are located at Noida.
· Noida is located at extremely close proximity to Delhi (less than fifty kilometres). Therefore, it enjoys excellent transport connectivity – be it buses, underground, freeways, or airways.
Some of the largest media and broadcasting networks of India operate from Noida on account of ease of operations, as well as available convenient travel to the political capital of India.
1. GBU is well-equipped with amenities enabling staff and students to function effectively in a congenialenvironment. It is covered with lush greenery, occupying more than 25 % of the campus premises.The library is provided with a reading room. It has a total seating capacity of more than 2000 students. Student accommodation is available in the form of hostel rooms and lodging.
There are a total of eight educational centres within the premises of GBU campus. Each of these covers a specific area of study. These centres offer courses at the undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral levels.
· Vocational skills
· Studies on Buddhism
· Information Technology
· Management Studies
GBU has facilitated tie-ups with international universities for student exchanges, research collaboration, curriculum development, etc. Students are completely financed by GBU for international study tours.
2. The teaching staff members at GBU are extremely passionate and proactive towards research.They believe in all-round development of students and lend a patient hearing to resolve any underlying issues. The faculty members keep themselves updated with the latest research developments in their respective fields.
The teaching staff hails from a variety of backgrounds and possesses accomplished achievements with respect to published research work. They have also been awarded scholarships from agencies of international repute. They conduct lessons through the means of video lectures and workshops. The staff members also undertake the responsibility of organizing field trips and study tours for students.
3. GBU has a corporate cell for student career counselling. Students are offered opportunities for internships, summer training, workshops, etc. Career guidance is offered through lecture sessions, mock interviews, resume assessment, etc. The cell functions as a means of placement assistance all year round. Organization of workshops and training in select companies enhances employment opportunities for students.
A roof that offers; world class infrastructure, liberty to choose from an array of streams, faculties who intend to offer empirical learning and a central hub for placement sharing a wide platform to excel careers into different segments. Gautam Buddha University, creating the pioneers of tomorrow! Click here to register.
Engineering is the means through which innovation is executed for problem-solving. Diverse branches of engineering exist specific to the concepts applied. Each branch has an immense scope with respect to career enhancement. Building machines, making electrical circuits, creating new computer software, manipulating genetic material – all of these require innovation. That is the basis of engineering.
Gautam Buddha University (GBU) is an institute which respectsancient heritage while looking ahead to the future. The location of Noida offers several advantages for resident students. The teaching faculty is extremely dedicated to students. Ample avenues are available to students with respect to career counselling